Belgium is one of the major worldwide actors for the production of radiopharmaceuticals and nuclear medical equipment:
Major producer of radioisotopes
- Second supplier of 99Mo worldwide.
- BR2 reactor of SCK•CEN is one of the 5 most powerful reactors in the world.
- IRE is one of the 5 centres in the world able to process 99Mo.
High density of nuclear medical equipment
- IBA is a global leader in proton therapy and dosimetry
- 20 PET cameras: ratio 1.8 PET camera per million inhabitants
- 7 cyclotrons (mainly for the production of FDG)
High density of nuclear physicists and nuclear physicians
- 8 different training centres (for technicians, radiologists and nuclear physicians).
- +/- 300 nuclear physicians: 27 per million inhabitants.
Jobs and major investments in the field
- 2,600 direct jobs and 2,100 indirect jobs.
- International MYRRHA project: 960M€ over 12 years.